Saturday, February 14, 2015

GOOD OLD TIMES, GOOD OLD DESIGN

 I'm bad. So bad that that I only started recycling recently. Collecting rubbish; on the other hand is no novelty to me. My bin of choice is paper. Flyers, catalogs, postcards, gazettes, labels, business cards - you name it. With hobby like this you'd think I'd be the queen of recycling. To tell the truth, if  Polish rubbish were a little nicer, I'd certainly be ruling my kingdom from beneath a pile of trash. Thanks God they are ugly! Looking at historical, screen printed packaging designs for Polish chocolate producer Wedel makes me wonder: why are we so lazy?!

Wedel, founded in 1851 by Karol Wedel had once been a symbol of quality and style. It collaborated with some of the finest Polish illustrators and graphic designers such as Maja Berezowska, Zofia Stryjeńska, Andrzej Heinrich and Karol Śliwka. Beautiful, custom made prints were then reproduced on boxes of chocolates, pralines and cookies making sweets not only taste but look good.

Though the company was centralized in 1949 (to become Polish Manufacturing Mills for over 40 years), it carried on with bold packaging concepts until late 80s when the country entered the reform process and capitalism-imposed no-brainer ads era












References:

E.Wedel, Spolem


No comments:

Post a Comment